Homeowners wanting to pay off their mortgage earlier than planned can do so by making extra principal payments.  One extra full principal and interest payment a year will reduce a 30-year loan to about 17 years, and adding the following month’s principal payment to the current one will cut the loan almost in half.  It is important that borrowers tell their lender the extra money is to be credited to principal.  Homeowners should keep records of their payments and review it once a year to be certain the lender has followed directions.

Private mortgage insurance (PMI) generally is required for home buyers whose down payment is less than 20 percent.  PMI may be added to the mortgage payment each month to protect the lender should the borrower default.  By law, PMI generally must be canceled automatically when the loan balance reaches 78 percent of the home’s original value.  However, lenders also may agree to cancel this coverage upon a borrower’s request when the balance declines to 80 percent of the current value, if certain conditions are met. Borrowers who have made their payments on time each month for five years should contact their lender or loan servicer to obtain all the details on cancelling the coverage.

County Properties, 23 years of brokerage experience, trust and a Member of the local Better Business Bureau! We offer free counseling in real estate regarding; home values and information on options of selling vs. Foreclosure.

If you have equity in your home, we will sell your home and get top dollar in this challenging market. If you do not have enough equity, and you must sell your property as a short sale we have the expertise to do so also and close escrow in 45-60 days or less. Learn more about mortgage relief options and how to take advantage of our FREE REALTOR (R) /ATTORNEY CONSULTATION.

Please feel free to contact me today for free counseling at (619) 301-0200 visit our website, click CountyProperties.net

By the way…if you know of someone who would appreciate the level of service in real estate we provide, please call me or have them go to www.CountyProperties.net  and I’ll be happy to follow up and take great care of them.