Thank you for your gift to the International Response Fund. Your support empowers the American Red Cross to reach across the globe to improve the lives of vulnerable people through immediate relief and the long-term support of supplies, technical assistance and other vital aid.
As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, the American Red Cross leads a variety of programs overseas. Most visibly, we help people prepare for and recover from large-scale disasters like earthquakes, cyclones and tsunamis.
On a daily basis, we also work with global partners to prevent diseases such as measles, malaria and HIV/AIDS; reconnect families separated by conflict or crisis; and promote respect for the global humanitarian principles that guide our work.
As complex global emergencies and disasters affect more and more people, your kindness ensures they can recover and rebuild their lives. For information on our most recent international disaster responses, please visit http://www.redcross.org/.
The American Red Cross
P.S. Visit us at http://www.redcross.org for safety tips year-round, up-to-date news on disaster relief, and to see how your donation is changing lives everyday.
you can donate them to the American Red Cross and tell them what you want them to do with them. you can go to their site to learn more about this.
Haiti earthquake: How to help
A list of charitable organizations active in the nation
· Action Against Hunger, 877-777-1420
· Agape Flights, 941-584-8078
· American Red Cross, 800-733-2767
· American Refugee Committee, 800-875-7060
· American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, 212-687-6200
· American Jewish World Service, 212-792-2900
· AmeriCares, 800-486-4357
· Beyond Borders, 866-424-8403
· B'nai B'rith International, 202-857-6600
· CARE, 800-521-2273
· Catholic Relief Services, 800-736-3467
· Childcare Worldwide, 800-553-2328
· Church World Services, 800-297-1516
· Clinton Foundation, 501-748-0471
Text "HAITI" to 20222 to donate $10 to Haiti relief
· Concern Worldwide, 212-557-8000
· Convoy of Hope, 417-823-8998
· Cross International, 800-391-8545
· CRUDEM Foundation, 413-642-0450
· CRWRC, 800-55-CRWRC
· Direct Relief International, 805-964-4767
· Doctors Without Borders, 888-392-0392
· Episcopal Relief and Development, 800-334-7626
· Feed My Starving Children, 763-504-2919
· Food for the Poor, 800-427-9104
· Friends of WFP, 866-929-1694
· Friends of the Orphans, 312-386-7499
· Habitat for Humanity, 1-800-422-4828
· Haiti Children, 877-424-8454
· Haiti Marycare, 203-675-4770
· Haitian Health Foundation, 860-886-4357
· Healing Hands for Haiti, 651-769-5846
· Hope for Haiti, 239-434-7183
· International Child Care, 800-722-4453
· International Medical Corps, 800-481-4462
· International Rescue Committee, 877-733-8433
· International Relief Teams, 619-284-7979
· Islamic Relief USA, 888-479-4968
· Lions Club International Foundation, 630-203-3836
· Lutheran World Relief, 800-597-5972
· Medical Benevolence Foundation, 800-547-7627
· Medical Teams International, 800-959-4325
· Meds and Food for Kids, 314-420-1634
· Mennonite Central Committee, 888-563-4676
· Mercy Corps, 888-256-1900
· Nazarene Compassionate Ministries, 800-306-9950
· New Life for Haiti, 815-436-7633
· Operation Blessing, 800-730-2537
· Operation USA, 800-678-7255
· Oxfam, 800-776-9326
· Partners in Health, 617-432-5298
· RHEMA International, 248-652-9894
· Rural Haiti Project, 347-405-5552
· Samaritan's Purse, 828-262-1980
· Save the Children, 800-728-3843
· UNICEF, 800-367-5437
· United Methodist Committee on Relief, 800-554-8583
· World Concern, 800-755-5022
· World Hope International, 888-466-4673
· World Relief, 800-535-5433
· World Vision, 888-511-6548
· Yele Haiti, 212-352-0552
Wyclef Jean's grassroots org
Text Yele to 501501 to donate $5 via cell phone
The U.S. State Department Operations Center said Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti should call 1-888-407-4747. Due to heavy volume, some callers may receive a recording. "Our embassy is still in the early stages of contacting American citizens through our Warden Network," the U.S. State Department said in a statement. "Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time."
Text to help
For those interesting in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. (More information)
Some of the major credit card companies, including American Express and Mastercard are waiving their usual fees so that the full amount of donation will go to the relief organization. Typically, a small percentage is charged to the organization accepting the credit card.
An analysis by the Huffington Post found that credit card companies make about $250 million a year off of people's charitable donations.
Beware of scams
Finally, the FBI urges people who are looking for ways to help with earthquake relief to be wary of solicitations that could be from scam artists.
"Past tragedies and natural disasters have prompted individuals with criminal intent to solicit contributions purportedly for a charitable organization or a good cause," the FBI said, in passing along these tips:
· Ignore unsolicited e-mails, and do not click on links within those messages.
· Be skeptical of individuals representing themselves as surviving victims or officials asking for donations via e-mail or social networking sites.
· Be cautious of e-mails that claim to show pictures of the disaster areas in attached files, because the files may contain computer viruses. Open attachments only from know senders.
· Decline to give personal or financial information to anyone who solicits contributions.
· Make contributions directly to known organizations, rather than relying on others who claim in e-mails that they will channel the donation to established groups.
The FBI says anyone receipting an e-mail that appears to be a scam should forward it to this Web site: www.ic3.gov