Rancho Penasquitos, 92129, is a community in the northeastern part of the city of San Diego, California. The community has a diverse topography that is characterized by numerous canyons, hillsides and ridges.The most prominent feature of the community is Black Mountain which rises to an elevation of 1,500 feet. Black Mountain’s triangular profile is a familiar sight to residents of Rancho Peñasquitos, The cluster of microwave antennas at the top testify to the mountain’s importance regarding electronic communication. Several hiking routes converge on Black Mountain’s summit.
Rancho Penasquitos means “land of the little hills” or “cliffs” and is surrounded canyons. In between Rancho Penasquitos and Sorrento Hills lays the Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve. This preserve offers hiking, biking and equestrian trails.
Beautiful scenery the preserve offers:
- waterfall cascading through volcanic rock
- A streamside forest of giant California live oaks.
- Groves of majestic sycamore trees.
- A year-round stream populated by pacific tree frogs, crayfish and largemouth bass.
- A fresh water marsh hosting a variety of aquatic birds including great blue herons, egrets, mallard ducks and more.
- Mule deer, bobcat, coyote, and raccoon are just a few of the mammals than can be observed throughout the Preserve.
The Poway school district, representing Rancho Penasquitos schools, gets praised for its science and technology programs.
Rancho Penasquitos Demographics
PROPERTIES FOR SALE