Cardiff-By-The-Sea, San Diego, California, 92007 was founded in 1911 by developer J. Frank Cullen. Mrs. Cullen, a native of Cardiff, Wales, gave the name , Cardiff and give the streets English names. Today, only San Elijo Avenue and Orinda Drive remind us of what might have been. A later developer, German musician Victor Kramer, may have added the “by-the-Sea” from the song “By The Beautiful Sea.
Cardiff’s only industry, a kelp works, was built by Clarence Cole in 1912. Seaweed was processed there for its food and industrial content. The plant’s foundation is still visible along the San Elijo Lagoon’s muddy north bluff.
Cardiff-By-The-Sea takes pride in its “walk ability”, because of the beach, lagoon, restaurants, markets, post office, library, and other commercial services in easy walking distance to each other. Also, there is a Restaurant Row, which offers beach-side dining and a wide variety of choices, including Mexican, Italian and California Cuisine with an emphasis on seafood.
Some parks include Glen Park, with tennis and basketball courts, a children’s play area and picnic tables. In addition, Cardiff Sports Park has multiple baseball and soccer fields.
Cardiff By The Sea
PROPERTIES FOR SALE